Whether you are gardening expert or a beginner, there are certain tips that can help you maintain your garden and ensure the healthy growth of plants. Below are some of the best gardening tips to save you both money and time.
Reusing Your Resources Tips
The following are just some tips to help you reuse some of the resources in your home to help you grow your plants;
- The water you use to cook vegetables can be very handy in fertilizing and watering your plants.
- Coffee and tea ground can be great for acidifying the soil. Certain plants including azaleas, gardenias and rhododendrons enjoy acidic soil.
- Plastic bottles cut down the middle make great mini-greenhouses.
The following tips will help you adequately prepare your garden for planting;
- Research your area’s soil composition and weather. This will help you adequately prepare for the first and last frosts, as well as make it easy for you to create a gardening calendar.
- Be patient with perennials as they can take up to 3 years to grow.
- The soil analysis you make will help you determine the plants you are going to grow. This will save you time and money as well as the heartache of having to watch your plants fail.
- Spread compost a few days before planting to let integrate and stabilize.
- You might want to keep a gardening diary or a journal. This will not only help you easily manage your garden, but also help you determine the plants you want to grow in the future.
- Proper garden maintenance is also a good idea since it will allow you to always have a garden that is always ready for planting.
Time Saving Tips
These tips will save you a lot of time, making gardening an easy and enjoyable;
- You can easily dry your herbs by laying them on a newspaper in the front seat if your car. The herbs will dry in no time and your car will smell really good.
- You can save a lot of time on measuring by marking distances on to your long handled tools.
- You can also save a lot of time by doing a little bit of pruning every day rather than waiting to prune in bulk.
Making Work Easier Tips
The following tips will make your work much easier from planting to harvest time;
- Fill pots halfway with polystyrene covered with landscape fabric before covering that with soil and planting. This will make it easier to move the pots as they will weigh less.
- Grow the plants in pots with the bottom cut out so the roots will grow down. This will prevent the plants from taking over your garden.
- You can also train your veins onto trellis or fences to save space and time it would take to rummage through the leaves.
- Planting onions, garlic, chives and chrysanthemums around the edges of your garden will keep insects away from other plants.